Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Remembering why I do what I do...Identity crisis II



"I had arranged electrodes on the optic nerve of a toad in connection with some experiments on the retina. The room was nearly dark and I was puzzled to hear repeated noises in the loudspeaker attached to the amplifier, noises indicating that a great deal of impulse activity was going on. It was not until I compared the noises with my own movements around the room that I realized I was in the field of vision of the toad's eye and that it was signaling what I was doing."
Edgar Douglas Adrian
1932 Nobel Prize for Physiology

2 Comments:

Blogger Gil said...

:)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

O Sr. Branca, que por acaso tb é um grande cientista, deu-me há uns anos um magnífico marcador de livros do Principezinho (Le Petit Prince para falar a sua língua..) que reza assim "Não vemos bem senão com o coração. O essencial é invisível aos olhos." que em franciú é ainda mais maravilhoso "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." Vem ainda em inglês e alemão, se quiseres mando-te por mail as frases. ;) Minha querida, não hesites no que fazes pela ciência. Nunca. Mas vê lá se trazes contigo um livro do Principezinho, sempre... Pro coeurzinho. Em francês então, deve ser uma coisa!! Beijoca

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home